CrodaTherm™ phase change materials
CrodaTherm is our brand for high quality bio-based phase change materials (PCMs) that utilise our expertise in organic, plant-based chemistries. They are a sustainable and cost-effective alternative to paraffinic and salt hydrate based PCMs..
CrodaTherm PCMs have high latent heat properties, which means they can store and release large quantities of energy when they change phase. The temperature at which they change phase can be selected with careful chemical design – so that they melt to absorb heat and solidify to release heat at defined, specific temperatures.
We offer phase change materials in solid wax or liquid form depending on temperature - and as powders or particle slurries in their microencapsulated form.
Sample sizes are available, whilst commercial waxes are available in drums and IBCs and microencapsulated products are available in bags, drums and IBCs.
Product finderView our CrodaTherm products
What makes CrodaTherm unique?
CrodaTherm materials are organic phase change materials, but they have some key differences to more common organic paraffinic PCMs.
- CrodaTherm materials are USDA certified bio-based with (in most cases) 100% renewable carbon content, and many are expected to be or defined as readily biodegradable materials
- They are lower in volatility than paraffinic PCMs, so they are less prone to evaporation. This results in higher flash points, which are safer in the final application
- CrodaTherm is produced consistently to tight specifications, which is often not the case for paraffin PCMs, produced as by-products of crude oil refining.
When comparing CrodaTherm PCMs to salt hydrates, they have three key advantages:
- Organic PCMs have greater long-term stability, retaining their high latent heat properties and consistent temperature phase transitions over long periods of cycling and storage
- CrodaTherm materials are non-corrosive, reducing hazards associated with processing, handling, transport, and material compatibility in the final application
- Organic PCMs can be compounded with polymers into form-stable materials, which remain solid either side of the PCM phase transition.
Where are CrodaTherm PCMs used?
Phase change materials are already used extensively in temperature-controlled packaging to maintain the temperature of sensitive goods such as medicines, vaccines and food.
They are also used in energy efficient space, such as heating, ventilation, air conditioning and cooling (HVAC) systems and thermal energy storage (TES). Applications include buildings, data centres/telecommunications and automotive.
In other areas, phase change materials are starting to become more attractive for commercial use to save, reuse and manage energy more efficiently, such as:
- Lightweight buildings and construction materials
- Low grade heat capture and reuse in vehicles
- Waste heat management in consumer electronics and electric vehicles.
Contact us if you have a specific application in mind, and we can advise you on the selection and use of our products.
CrodaTherm for nurses
Read about how our CrodaTherm was used to help keep nurses cool during the Covid-19 pandemic
Dutch researchers demonstrated benefits to nurses when wearing INUTEQ cooling vests under personal protective equipment (PPE).
Partnerships for CrodaTherm
Are you looking to use CrodaTherm phase change materials in your application?
Read more about our philosophy on collaborations and partnerships, and our commitment to working with you to overcome technical application challenges.